History and the Present
The Faculty of Humanities of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is the successor of the Faculty of Philosophy at the first Georgian University established in 1918. The faculty was supervised by several famous Georgian scholars educated in Europe who managed to introduce and adjust the western educational standards to Georgian ways of teaching. The faculty never failed to meet the requirements of the epoch, shaping the nation’s consciousness and promoting the growth of intellectual and scientific potential in Georgia. Throughout its nearly century-old history, the faculty changed gradually and refined its structure. Today it is one of the most important, dynamic and competitive faculties in the University, and demonstrates significant academic potential.
The Mission of the Faculty
The key task of the faculty is to promote the introduction of modern research and methodologies, the development of academic work and research-based educational activities in the fields of the Humanities.